Friday, November 4, 2011

Engaged... at the beach!


Well, he surprised me alright.

Me, and six others (seven if you count the 3-year-old).

Robb presented me with a gorgeous piece of bling during our annual theatre beach weekend at the Outer Banks in Rodanthe, NC. My initial response to seeing the velvety black box, was, well.... I was in shock ok?!

R: [silently slipping the box into my purview]
E: Babbling mindlessly about something, then noticing said box. [eyes wide. gasp.] "What's IN there?!"
R: [smiling] That's for you.
E: [still aghast] "Is it a RING?!"
R: [exasperated] "Why don't you open it?"
E: [opening box] "What IS THIS?! Is this what I THINK IT IS?!"
R: [still exasperated] "Yes, I hope you'll put it on."
E: More mindless babbling, some laughing and crying. Then, "You haven't asked me anything."
R: "What do you mean?"
E: "You haven't asked me THE question."
R: [sighing. exasperated. smiling and obliging.] "Will you marry me?"
E: "YES!!!"
R: "Good!"

The next several minutes were also priceless. We told Sara and Tracy next. Tracy shrieked. Sara cried. (She is pregnant but I think she would have cried anyway.) Then, we told Carlos and Lucas and Stacie. Carlos and Lucas gave very appropriate and manly congratulatory responses. Stacie happened to be brushing her teeth. She threw her hands in the air and left the toothbrush in her mouth to hug me. I think she may have gagged a little. Jeff found out a little bit later from a very excited Tracy.

The whole weekend was brilliant -- wonderful weather, fun people, lots of celebrating. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

It was bright outside. That, and we were pretty happy. :)


1 comment:

  1. So glad I'm getting to see this! I always wondered a little how "the proposal" transpired...you know, line by line, moment by moment. :) And I bet Robb wasn't exasperated at all. He looks much too happy! :)

    ReplyDelete