Learning about this caused me to reflect on my own experience at that age; one that I haven't shared with many people, for no other reason than its impact on my life has drastically diminished since I reached adulthood. But perhaps that in itself can be reassuring to my coworker and her kid -- that after awhile, it just becomes a part of life that you don't even think about.
I'm sure everyone remembers the annual or semi-annual elementary school health screenings. Vision, hearing, lice (ew), scoliosis. Not sure what they're screening for these days. But no doubt everyone remembers "that kid" who had to be pulled out of the classroom a day or two later by the school nurse for re-screening.
![]() |
| 7th grade. I had pink glasses then too. |
But getting pulled out of class for re-screening of anything else was horrifying. I remember we all got kind of tense and uneasy when the school nurse popped her head in the door. "Whose name is she going to call? Please don't let it be me! Please
don't let it be me!"
"I need to see Emily Cole, please."
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
The stares, the whispers (mostly, I suspect, from my fellow classmates vocalizing how happy they were it wasn't them), the teacher restoring order.
That time, I had to be called back for a scoliosis re-screening. And, oh, I had it alright. Big and bad. After the visit to our family doctor, I was referred to a spinal specialist in Minneapolis. I was 10.
Being a kid and getting diagnosed with a chronic disease is awful. Granted, mine wasn't life-threatening. But it did mean some changes were coming my way. And when you're a kid, it is earth-shaking. The most resounding question in my 10-year-old head was,"WHY ME?!"
![]() | ||
| Not my x-ray, but mine is similar. |
This "hidden" disease was the cause for multiple trips to Minneapolis to the spine specialist. I missed school. Was questioned by classmates. And worst of all, I was terrified that I would need to wear a brace. Think Joan Cusack in Sixteen Candles. The ultimate humiliation.
For awhile, it looked like I wasn't going to need "treatment." My spine was border-line. Each visit to the specialist necessitated x-rays, upon which Dr. Lonstein (who had a fabulous British accent) would draw, using a slide rule and protractor, to determine the severity of the curves and whether they had worsened.
A couple years passed and my spine stayed just inside the safe zone. Until I hit a growth spurt. Then the curves went crazy. "Well, I'm afraid we need to talk about treatment." I was 13. Junior High, where it's torture just trying to act normal enough to fit in and make it through unscathed.
I saw my future flash before my eyes. I was already kind of a nerd. I liked to read and play the flute and paint my nails different colors. And now I was going to have to wear an obnoxious, uncomfortable brace for 23 out of 24 hours each day until I stopped growing. Any shred of social acceptance I had earned for myself would surely be dashed the day I returned to school.
But ---- what's this? There's an alternative to a brace? A new experimental technology called Electro Spinal Orthosis, or ESO for short? And this meant no brace??? SIGN ME UP!
![]() |
| Like this, but on the right side only |
So, each night, my mom would slap the electrodes on my back, which had long wires that connected to a control box that I would then turn on and attach to the side of my bed. And my back muscles would contract all night long. Every night. For 1,095 days (give or take).
I was allowed to skip a night here and there, for the occasional sleepover. But otherwise, the electrodes accompanied me on family vacations, to long weekends at relatives', everywhere.
I experienced several fitful and sleepless nights at first. And I think I can speak for my mom when I say it took her awhile to get the hang of positioning and attaching the electrodes every night. But eventually, I got used to it and what started out as an ordeal became a 5 minute addition to my sleeping and waking routines.
![]() |
| Physical effects of scoliosis |
As an adult, I suffer from periodic neck, lower back and hip issues, for which I see a chiropractor. I do a lot of back stretches, which have become second nature. I still have a hard time wearing certain styles of dresses, and my pants will never be even at the cuff, which is frustrating. But, all in all, I consider myself pretty healthy.
My "illness" didn't scar me for life. But I do think it gave me a perspective that I wouldn't have had otherwise. And while each person's situation is different and each experience is unique, it is my hope that the similarities can be reassuring in the end. All we can do is experience it, learn from it, live our lives and in the process, try to help others do the same.




This was interesting. I'm sorry that you had to go through that as a kid. I found out that I have mild scoliosis as an adult. It was when I was getting my epidural that they told me this. Nobody ever said anything during those school screenings. I now also have some lower back pain that I never had before. I am leery of chiropractors though. My sister worked as a nurse in the spine center at Abbott and saw one too many spinal injuries from chiropractic adjustments. I'm thinking maybe physical therapy?
ReplyDeleteAly W. can't get her google login to work:
ReplyDeleteInteresting! I went to school with a girl who had scoliosis. I vaguely remember her being called out of class, but I didn't think anything of it. In high school, she mentioned she had it, and I'd totally forgotten it had happened. Did she wear a brace? Did she go through some other treatment? I don't know. I'm sure I was too busy being self-conscious to be anybody-else-conscious.
thanks for sharing, emily. i have been thinking of tracy and kelly non-stop and hopefully theirs will become a manageable issue. i give aidan shots everyday for an endocrinology issue and it sometimes gets difficult for him to understand the "why me?" part. i'm always telling him "why not you?" most everybody's got something they are dealing with and it's lucky his is manageable. it does help lend understanding of other people's hurdles that are often so much greater than your own.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Em.
ReplyDeleteIt's been an ordeal, but it's so helpful knowing we're surrounded by family & friends offering prayers and good thoughts of support. Ironically, one of our best friends in the neighborhood, Anna, age 12, just had surgery last week for severe scoliosis. She and Kelly have hospital notes to compare, now. Anna's got a long recovery...I'm sure, Em, she would have opted for your treatment if it was available. She did the brace 23/24, too.
While Type I Diabetes is life altering, it was sobering being in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) at MCV. Undoubtedly, Kelly was the "least sick" of those kids. One little guy had a tennis ball tumor in his head that needed next-day surgery. They knew it was cancer, but didn't know if it was the "bad" kind or the "not as bad" kind. The family (a large extended one) gathered quietly in the Family Room.
So while I keep wanting to rewind Monday, and have it happen like "The World According to Tracy"--get up, go to pediatrician, find out she has mono, get a scrip, come home, pack for beach--I am SO thankful to have three beautiful, healthy girls. Kelly WILL be healthy. Soon. I am SO thankful, that we're not enduring the pain and fear of some of those other PICU parents. (And I'm feeling guilty that I'm thankful for that. So I'm just praying for them. I don't know names, but God does. That's all I can do.)
We really appreciate everyone's prayers. Throw a few in for the families in the MCV PICU. (or every PICU.) Like Judi, the "why me's" happen. And I've said "It's not fair" amid tears more than once this week. If I could take this from Kelly I would. But we'll get through it. And all the love of our friends has been just wonderful. As silly as Facebook seems some days, I could say, "Kelly, 34 friends are thinking about you today" She would smile from behind tubes, IVs and monitoring electrodes in her hospital bed.
Like Em's scoliosis treatment, this will take time. But we'll get there. Thanks so much for all the support. And thank you for the Blahg, Emily...when you go through these things, they make you stronger. I have to believe Kelly's ordeals in her young life have to have a purpose in her future. Only time will tell what that is, but I know she'll handle it with strength and grace. :)
Tracy