raw garlic
raw honey
almonds
cherry/pomegranate juice
ginger granola
homemade chicken soup
echinacea tea
pu-erh tea
salt-water gargle
Neti pot
vitamin D supplements
"lung heatlh" supplements
multi-vitamin supplements
water by the gallon
16-20 hrs. of sleep
Today, I woke up without a voice and more gunk in my lungs than the previous days. So much for putting in an appearance at work.
There's only so many herbs and supplements a girl can ingest before opting for pharmaceuticals. Robbie's doctor told him to take Mucinex for his cold and cough, but I've resisted trying it, mainly because of the unpleasant side effects. "Be careful because it'll really dry you out." "It made me bounce off the walls, but it did the trick."
Not being a big fan of guzzling large amounts of water to begin with, the thought of tripling my current already-increased h2o intake makes me want to reevaluate how bad my cough really is and if I can get away with not taking it. I also cannot imagine having the jitters on top of being sick. That just sounds awful.
Soooo.... here we are. I had fantastic take-out tonight from Mom's Siam... spicy green curry chicken and vegetable soup with tons of garlic. My sinuses feel better. Still coughing though. I guess if the symptoms persist tomorrow, I will break down and try the dang Mucinex. I do get a kick out of those phleghmy-looking cartoon thingys in the commercials. At the same time, they are kind of gross. I'm sure there's a green curry joke in there somewhere, but I'm not on top of my game presently, so you're on your own.
*cough* *cough*
Surely it's just an oversight in the listing of massive amounts of things tried...but I'm not seeing Vitamin C??????
ReplyDeleteOk, so I've never had the side effects with Mucinex, but then again, I never felt it was really effective either. Hans likes it, though. I think if you're already drinking a lot of water then you should be fine with just a little extra, not 3 times the amount. They want to make sure you're really drinking at all.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I highly recommend peach brandy and ginger ale. You can either down a shot of brandy or mix the two and enjoy slowly. It's up to you. Keep in mind, though, that alcohol dehydrates and you should also keep the water up. Good luck!