Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Grand Night for Star Trek XII



So I'm playing the harp in Rodgers & Hammerstein's A Grand Night for Singing at Swift Creek Mill Theatre in Colonial Heights. I got the music about ten days ago, got a harp to practice on last Tuesday, have participated in four rehearsals and the show opens the day after tomorrow. And just like that, I go from a nine-to-five nonprofit fundraiser to a sleep-deprived gigging musician.

COOL!

I have a tendency toward being a night owl so the late nights don't really bother me.... it's that pesky day job thingy that requires I leave my cozy bed by 8:00 if I'm gonna make it to the office by 9:00. To the parents who are reading this, yes, I know how sleep deprived you all are and I fully recognize that I have no idea what "tired" really, truly is. But, if anyone can appreciate functioning in a bleary-eyed semi-conscious state, it's actors and musicians. (And folks who work the night shift... had to give props to my Robbie.)

Most actors and musicians -- at least in Richmond -- have to hold daytime employment in order to pay the bills. But I've never really heard anyone complain about it... that's just how it is. By no stretch do I consider myself a professional the likes of Audra and Scottie and Sandy and Paul and countless other pals who secure a steady stream of work by putting their acting and musical talents to work on a regular basis. But I am fortunate to get called upon to fill the occasional niche (say, for a harp), and that makes me perfectly happy.

So while I am and will be "So Very Tired" the next eight weeks, I will be enjoying every minute that I get to pursue my true passion for creative expression during the twilight hours with amazingly talented people. If you get a chance to see A Grand Night for Singing, please do. It's two glorious hours of song, dance and witty repartee. The next morning might come a little bit too soon, but it'll be worth it, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment