Saturday, February 20, 2010

A wrinkle in time...

I had a horrifying thought this morning.

What if anti-wrinkle creams, actually, in fact, CAUSE wrinkles?

Think about it. What could it possibly benefit a company to create a product that removes wrinkles? Aside from the up-front profit from the initial purchase, how could a company convince a consumer buy it again if the product did what it was supposed to? In other words, if my wrinkles are gone, why the heck would I need to buy anti-wrinkle cream?

Which makes me wonder if it's all a bunch of false advertising.

I have used anti-wrinkle cream since my freshman year of college. I often credit said cream with the fact that I still get carded. But what if the cream has nothing to do with my minimal crow's feet? What if I just have good genes?

Or... what if the real reason my skin has held up so well is because I also have used liquid make-up with sunscreen on my face since my freshman year of college?

Another hypothesis: If the anti-wrinkle cream is actually wrinkle-inducing cream, could the SPF 20 have been canceling out the effects of the cream all this time? And if that is the case, would that mean I wouldn't look any different if I hadn't used either one all these years?

I wonder. 

Currently, I am using Lancôme High Résolution Refill-3X Triple Action Renewal Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream and Nutrogena Healthy Skin liquid makeup SPF 20.
However, I'm not brave enough to make an experiment of myself and stop using either one of these to see what would happen. So I guess I will just maintain the status quo... and keep wondering.



1 comment:

  1. Oh dear! "What if?" indeed! Ha. But I think they do help (at least some of them do), and their guarantee of future business is the fact that there are always new people who are getting older, and that they do not work "perfectly"...they don't 100% eliminate all wrinkles. They just minimize and slow down the inevitable. But that's good enough for me. I've noticed some people in my circle of friends who could use a good jar of cream, and I know they don't, because they've said they don't. Genes? Sometimes, but given your very light Scandinavian skin courtesy of Grammie K. and Gramps C....I don't think so. Bring on the creams! :)

    ReplyDelete