Tuesday, February 23, 2010

In their own words


I've been ranting a lot on Facebook and Twitter about the importance of supporting the arts since the Virginia House budget appropriations committee put forth their recommendation to cut funding for the Virginia Commission for the Arts by half in 2011 and completely eliminate it in 2012. If they succeed in passing this legislation, Virginia will become the first and only state in the country to not have a state arts agency.

The quotes below are all in reference to Theatre IV's programs and perfectly illustrate why the arts are important---AND why the Virginia Commission for the Arts is worth saving. Have a read.

“We are deeply grateful for the opportunity to see the performance of ‘Best Christmas Pageant Ever’ through Tickets for Kids. For most of our students, it was the first time they had seen a theatre production. Many were excited to see children performing with adults. Thank you for your assistance in providing this enriching experience for our students.” – School Social Worker, Thirteen Acres Elementary (a school-within-a-school serving low-income K-5 students with emotional & behavioral challenges)

“I wanted to let you know how amazing, professional, and flawless the performance was. Many of the students and teachers were in tears and my students learned a great deal about the life of this important man. Bravo!” - 5th grade teacher in Prince George County, VA whose students saw “I Have A Dream: The Life and Times of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.”

“I want to extend my appreciation for the outstanding play that Theatre IV presented. It was not only entertaining and educational but raised an awareness of a key piece of American history that is not commonly known. It is our goal to promote awareness and understanding of the value of diversity, and your presentation enabled us to further that goal.” - Director of a Federal agency in Chantilly, VA, whose employees saw a performance of “Buffalo Soldier” in observance of Black History Month

“As a recent new arrival to this country who is learning to speak English, I want to say thank you for your wonderful show you gave us today. Coming from a country that has not had true peace in so many years, and now the government forces their ideas on you. Your show meant a lot to me being a minority. The play shows people to stop and truly learn about one another. If we all work together we can do so much and be so happy. All of us have so much too offer to one another all races and people can share so much of their culture with one another. Once again, thank you for your beautiful show and all the hard work and your time.” - Hanover County, VA middle school student who saw “Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad”

“You performed 'Walking the Line' to my high school. You cannot believe how much you people touched me. When you guys talked about how teens drink to escape other problems I felt like that was my problem. I have already written a letter asking for help to an adult friend who helps kids. You guys changed my life and I owe you so much for it. I am sorry I didn't run up there at that time and thank you right there, but at that time I had a lot to soak in. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!” - Chesterfield County, VA High school student who saw "Walking the Line"

“My class included kids with some of the school's most severe discipline problems. One boy in particular had been having trouble in his classes and getting in fights. But, every day he loved to come to [After-School Arts]. He was really interested in theater and was a great contribution to our class. I even let him serve as a ‘director,’ helping out and letting me know if scenes could be heard from the back of the room. Theater was a way he could harness his energy for something positive and feel like he was smart and productive. By the end of the eight weeks he had shown great improvement.” - Theatre IV instructor of After-School Arts for 4th and 5th grade students at St. Andrew's School

“Thank you for the 'Hugs and Kisses' program. I attended the evening public performance and talk-back at my son’s school, and he saw it in school the next day. He came home asking all kinds of questions and we were able to have a very open conversation about the play and the topic. It is a valuable program and I hope it continues.” – Petersburg, VA parent of a 4th grade student who saw “Hugs and Kisses”

“As a result of your program, a previous sex offender has been found guilty of abusing two girls – our students – and is awaiting sentencing. The girls came forward after seeing ‘Hugs and Kisses,’ which helped them understand there was an adult in their life engaging in inappropriate behavior. Had it not been for your program, it’s hard to say how much longer this would have continued, or even worse. Thanks for your efforts. You are making a difference in the lives of children.” - School counselor in Waynesboro, VA about “Hugs and Kisses”

1 comment:

  1. But at least you can now carry a loaded gun into a Virginia saloon. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/24/us/24guns.html?scp=1&sq=virginia%20guns&st=cse Death to tyrants, people who drink foreign beer, and commie pinko artist-types!

    ReplyDelete