You know that wonderful feeling when you go to a store and the experience is so good that when it's over, you can hardly believe it wasn't a dream? You go in, there's no line, the staff is friendly and treat you like royalty, the thing you want is on sale, plus you get a bonus item, and a coupon for a future visit, just because you're a valued customer?
That's how my Dad always makes me feel.
My Dad is the most generous person I know. Of course, he has many other great traits as well -- he is hard-working, strong, smart, dependable, handy, funny, etc. But few people exemplify generosity as well as my Dad.
I became especially aware of this as I reached adulthood, when (even though I was "on my own") he would change my oil, buy me new tires, pay for meals out, or slip me a $20 just because. I watched him selflessly and earnestly offer anything he had that would help out my brothers, family, neighbors, and even strangers.
When my car got stolen a dozen years ago, Dad hunted all over the place until he found the perfect replacement car -- which turned out to be my beloved red Grand Am that I drove until I moved to Virginia. He knew that red was my favorite color and remembered that when I was a kid I lonnnnged to drive a Pontiac one day. (Props to Pontiac for effectively marketing to 10-year-olds.)
Even now, my Dad is still treating me like a princess. Most recently, he & my Mom helped us move from VA to MN, helping pay for gas & food & hotels along the way and also taking shifts behind the wheel. He was the one who noticed that our dual tires on the moving truck were rubbing together and needed more air, and that the special tire stems required going to a truck stop. I don't like to think about what could have happened if he hadn't been there to notice.
For 35 years, my Dad has been a living example of what it means to put others first, and to treat everyone like a "valued customer." The standard he has set is one I truly admire, and one I aspire to.
Thank you, Dad, for your example.
Happy Father's Day! I love you!

Aww, Ellemy, that is very, very DEAR. And I just know your dad is a lovely fellow because he did such a good job on you! Plus he likes Cushman scooters, which is so weird and so cool.
ReplyDelete