Sunday, September 11, 2011

11 september 2001

On September 11, 2001, I was living in St. Paul, MN in a basement pullman apartment on Milton Ave with two roommates. I was unemployed after finishing a year of AmeriCorps and, as was fairly typical during those self-absorbed days of feeling sorry for myself, I slept in. I was awakened by the persistent ringing of the landline and my cell phone. It was Jamie, calling from work and frantically telling me that a plane had crashed in New York and that I needed to turn on the TV. None of what he said clicked with me. I didn't understand his urgency or why a plane crash had upset him enough to call me. Chalk it up to the morning grog. But whatever sleepiness still hovered over me evaporated the moment I turned on the TV. I was not prepared for what I saw. I'm sure millions of others watched on national television when the towers fell. It was ghastly. I couldn't believe it was real. Later, I wrote this. I'm not savvy on rules of poetry so don't know if it counts as a "poem" or "prose" or just feelings on paper. But it was how I marked that day, and I have looked back at these words many times over the past several years.

I think the slogan "Never Forget" is a bit obnoxious. How could we ever?


11 september 2011

death
and fire
death
and mud
death
rained down
death
and blood

death
and sadness
death
and confusion
death 
made widows
death
and intrusion

death
and anger
death
and vengeance
death 
wreaked havoc
death
and penance

death
and prayer
death 
and hope
death
gave strength
life
to cope

No comments:

Post a Comment