Saturday, December 4, 2010

A "White Christmas" review worth reading

The Richmond.com review of Barksdale Theatre's production of Irving Berlin's White Christmas got me revved up. I disagreed with many of the reviewer's observations, several of which I thought were rather absurd, as I voiced in my recent BLAHG post.

However, this morning, I was thrilled to read a review on RVANews.com that FINALLY accurately describes the show that I saw a few weekends ago. I hope you'll take time to read the whole thing, but here is a snippet:

Kevin Earley & Freddie Kimmel - Photo by Aaron Sutten
You’ve seen the classic film ... And this season, you’re cordially invited to rediscover the vintage spirit at Barksdale Theatre with, if you can believe it, even more spectacular song and dance numbers than the film’s Golden Era producers saw fit to include ... 

Almost everything out of [the cast members'] mouths had the house rolling, and by the time the grand finale swoops in with the most elaborate costumes yet, you’re so amped up from the jokes, the reunions, the glitter, and the talent, you’ll fall gratefully into the holiday classic to end all holiday classics, “White Christmas” ... 

[T]he whole production is a wistful reminder that, in the Fifties, shows were just so dang elegant, comedy was so uncluttered, the clothes, good lord, the clothes. And, with its historic feel and intimate setting, the Empire Theatre is just the place to make the whole thing pop ... 

White Christmas does exactly what it sets out to do: provide you with a couple of hours jam-packed with holiday festivities. The show’s lone disappointment occurs when the lights come up and it’s time to face 2010 again.

Thank you, Susan Howson, for your wonderful description of what, no doubt, is in the heart of every Richmonder who sees this production, including mine.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment