Saturday, October 16, 2010

Deadly drink

I have to start by saying I feel like kind of a hypocrite writing this post. I drank in college. I continue to enjoy wine and beer and the occasional mixed drink, and sometimes I get a little carried away and pay for it the next morning.

But this morning I'm writing about a young man who didn't have the luxury of paying for it the next morning. Because he died.

Just before I left the office yesterday, I learned that my coworker's nephew had been found dead of alcohol poisoning. He was in college, pledging a fraternity.

So many words come to mind.... horrible, tragic, heartbreaking............... preventable.

So often we hear news reports of situations just like this, where college frat parties quickly turn into alcohol binge fests where the goal is to out-do one another to see who can down the most booze in the shortest amount of time. Drinking games like the "power hour," "century club" and others often can -- and do -- result in DEATH.

"Alcohol poisoning occurs when a person consumes an excessive amount of alcohol. Alcohol can depress or stop nerve signals that control breathing and the gag reflex that prevents choking. As drinking increases, the person will become sleepy, or fall into a stupor. Ultimately, the respiratory system becomes depressed, and the person can stop breathing, causing death. Commonly, comatose patients aspirate their vomit, resulting in vomitus in the lungs, which can cause asphyxiation and death." (WebMD & Wikipedia)

The story told to my coworker's sister-in-law by one of her son's roommates is that his soon-to-be fraternity brothers set a case of beer in front of him and said, "drink." And he did. And he died.

The really sad and angering part is, there is nothing that can be done to change this. Even with all the preaching and lecturing and fact-presenting and awareness campaigning and M.A.D.D. and S.A.D.D. demonstrating, fraternities and sororities will continue with their drinking rituals, college students will continue to drink to excess, and young men and women will continue to die.

Scary.

Scary that alcohol can have such power. And even scarier that we let it.

My heart breaks for this family. There is now a mother without her son, a sister without her brother, an uncle without his nephew. And now, the "if only's" and "should have's" will begin. Because that is human nature. We punish ourselves in situations like this because our feelings of helplessness and guilt force us to. But nothing can bring him back, and that fact alone is punishment enough.

There is no happy ending, no silver lining. This kid is dead. A senseless waste of a precious human life.

That is all there is to say.

2 comments:

  1. Weeping with those who weep. (Romans 12:15) Often that is all we can do. May God hold this family close. My heart goes out to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm about a month late (I just saw your blog), but when we were told about this, I felt very numb. I am an alumni member of a national fraternity, a fraternity that has pride in its anti-hazing practices. During my entire process of joining the group, we were guaranteed hazing would not occur. If it did, we were to speak up immediately. Sadly enough, though, most schools don't agree with my fraternity's morals and values beyond face value. Hazing is seen as "tradition" and because older members went through it, the new ones should as well. False. I never call my fraternity a frat, but this group has earned the title frat for its practices that ended a boy's life. They give fraternities everywhere a bad name, but we still prevail by doing things that outshine the negative. It's unfortunate that educators and administrators turn the other cheek to these matters until someone dies. Thank you for speaking your mind on this issue. I'm certain that that chapter of whatever fraternity is no longer allowed to operate on that campus. I sure hope so.

    ReplyDelete