Monday, July 19, 2010

2010 Progress

I like the way Brits say the word "progress." Not PRAH-gress, but PRO-gress. It adds a certain weight and air of authority when pronounced that way. In fact, I generally like the way they pronounce everything (except, perhaps, "aluminum" and "schedule"). Thus, I invite you to read the rest of this post in a British accent.  

[NOTE: I watched an episode of Red Dwarf earlier this evening, which may or may not have had something to do with this particular whim.]

Admittedly, as far back as I can remember, every January I have made resolutions for the New Year. Then a few months into the year, I lapse by doing one or both of the following:

1) Forgetting what they are; or
2) Ignoring them altogether.

I think this is because year after year, I resolved to accomplish things that were either cliché or absurd. In short, I was a complete and total git about it.

For example, "lose weight" has been on the list every year since I was 14. I think two of the years since then I actually did lose weight, but not because of my commitment to my New Year's goals. It was just a handy coincidence.

That particular goal did not make the 2010 list.

This January, I once again made some resolutions. However this time, I actually put quite a lot of thought into the five goals I conceived for myself. A few were a bit challenging and a couple were not. The difference this year is that I wrote them down and have referred back to them on several occasions over the past six months.

Now that 2010 is half over (*GASP!*), it's time to assess PROgress.

I must admit that I am quite pleased with myself. To date, I can check two things off the list. A third involves a test of will against a particular culinary temptation, which I won't be able to check off until midnight on 1 January 2011. But so far, I haven't given in. The other two are relatively attainable and I am confident I can "git 'er done," as the Americans say at wrestling matches and the like.

What a splendid feeling this is! How refreshing! I did not set myself up for failure, nor did I get namby-pamby with my goals.

Now, as I proGRESS toward the remainder of my goals, I can do so with the satisfaction that I have already exceeded any and all accomplishments I have set for myself in prior years.

And that, dear friends, is PROgress.

1 comment:

  1. Hurray! That's fantastic that you're doing so well. I set a few goals for myself, but have not done nearly as well on them. That said, I have improved slightly in the areas I really wanted to improve on...I just need to improve more...a lot more. Anyway, congrats to you. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete