Wednesday, March 10, 2010

$tained gla$$

I've been attempting to come up with some fresh ideas for stained glass panels, prompted by a couple people asking me about commissions and consignments. I still consider myself somewhat of a novice when it comes to crafting glass pieces. I took a class at the Visual Arts Center a few years ago and immediately fell in love with this artform.

I've always been a fan of Art Deco, Art Nouveau and Prairie Style designs. Awhile ago, I bought a book of postcards that featured Arts & Crafts tiles by Motawi Tileworks of Ann Arbor, MI. The designs are inspiring and I think they would transfer exceedingly well to glass:



I love the symmetry of these designs and I can envision them with varying color schemes and glass textures. The thought of tackling one of these panels is exhilarating. So what's to stop me from getting out the glass cutter and grinder right this minute?

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ 

Creating a glass piece in the hopes that someone will not only be willing to buy it, but buy it at a price that will allow me to recoup my expenses, let alone make a small profit, is a huge leap of faith. Glass materials are not cheap, and if a design has several pieces, assembly takes hours. If I remember correctly, this 13x13 panel took some 24-odd-hours to complete:


So, what to do? Fork out the dough (i.e. bust out the credit card) and hope I can sell pieces in a timely manner? Or secure the commissions first ? The latter is a tricky proposition. I am hesitant to request deposits up front; although, if I don't, I then have to foot the bill entirely until I finish the piece and receive payment.

I tried over the holidays to sell some of my leaded glass snowflakes on etsy.com. I sold three, but at a very minuscule profit margin. I pulled my snowflakes because I didn't have the time or patience to put into marketing myself through the site. I think it's easy for one's artwork to get lost in the myriad of creations the site has to offer potential buyers. I had more success through local word of mouth and working directly with customers. I much prefer that method, although generating business that way is hit or miss.

I'm fairly new at the whole idea of having a craft and offering my work for sale. I have limited workspace (the 3'x4' table in my living room), and thus have to keep pieces small, usually 15" max. It would be fun to try a larger panel, for a transom or full window.... but that will have to wait until I have room to spread out and not worry about stepping on stray shards of glass.

In the meantime, I suppose I can take inventory of my existing glass materials and see what I can make with what I already have. I made this piece entirely out of scrap glass. One lady's scrap is another lady's masterpiece! 

P.S. If anyone has any feedback regarding business strategies,
I'm all ears!

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried going to restaurants to feature your work? It's a good way to get your name out there. Especially for the stained glass and leaded glass snowflakes, you could try donating something to a church (works really well over the holidays). You wouldn't get much up front, but you would get a lot of attention from little, old church ladies. Also, and I'm sure you've thought of this, go to local galleries and see if they'll sell some of your stuff. You could be the featured artist, or you could just provide a few extra works. Again, it would be a bit of money up front, but your chances of turning a profit are greater. I think I mentioned it to you before, but Gallery 606 (in Ashland) is a decent local gallery. You should check them out.
    Lastly, if you're interested, there's a marketing seminar in New Kent on the 25th (a Thursday). It takes up most of the day, so I don't know how that would work with your work, but if you're interested I can get you the info. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,

    I'd like to share the origin of the tile designs you admire. the Songbirds design comes from the work of Talwyn Morris. The fish design comes from a Dover publication "Art Nouveau Animal Designs and Patterns". And the Coronet design is based on an art nouveau tile of uncertain origin, which is pictured in the book "Art Nouveau Tiles c. 1890-1914" by Sandie Fowler and Wendy Harvey. I encourage you to go to the source images for inspiration.

    It is not easy to make a profit on an art piece, but it sounds like you are thinking about it with some clarity. I recommend The Knack, a book by Norm Brodsky, for anyone in business, especially if you are new to it. Good luck Emily.

    - Nawal Motawi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm...I'm really digging the scrap one. Where is that one now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the feedback, and for crediting the creators of those amazing tiles, Nawal! BC, the 'Scrap' piece is hanging in my living room window. ;)

    ReplyDelete