Friday, February 26, 2010

Russians love their culture...

...and apparently their really cheesy lounge singers. (Since I minored in Russian, I feel relatively safe saying this! haha)
 
This is just too hilarious not to post. Our Artistic Director, Bruce Miller, had this on his Facebook page this morning, with the caption: "Perhaps this is what all those delegates who voted to eliminate the Virginia Commission for the Arts yesterday think about when they contemplate who we are and what we do."

The Russian title in the clip translates to, "I am very glad, that at long last, I am coming back home. Vocalize." 

3 comments:

  1. A. Evidently "la,la-la-la, la-la-la" is the universal language. I understood every word. :)

    B. I think he was lip-synching. That voice (which was, incidentally, a very good voice!) just didn't match him, his movements, or his mouth.

    C. Art is in the eye of the beholder/hearer.

    D. On a serious note, actually, aren't the Russians genuinely fond of their arts? Didn't the Russian Ballet prosper even under Breshnev and Kruschev? Of course, I doubt the "average Russian" ever got to attend a performance. I suppose the Ballet was more for international acclaim purposes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he's lip-syncing too, but I didn't want to say that because I didn't want to diminish the hilarity. I also didn't translate the title of the YouTube link, which says his name is Edward Hill. Pretty much confirms the lip-syncing hunch.

    Yes, Russians are very proud of their culture. And we could take a lesson from them. All of their major performance companies were (and maybe still are) priced so they are affordable for the general public, including Bolshoi. Good ol' socialism. It of course has its major flaws, but when it comes to arts & culture accessibility for the masses, it is pretty effective. We may have to wait four hours in line for a loaf of bread, but then we can go to the Bolshoi afterward! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might be a dub, but it really is him singing! I looked up some other videos on YouTube and it's the same guy with the same voice. Apparently 'Edward Hill' is Russian!?

    ReplyDelete