Sunday, April 24, 2011

Why Jesus Is Just Alright with me.

The Doobie Brothers
I always found it interesting that the otherwise secular band, The Doobie Brothers covered that gospel song. I liked (and still like) the tune a lot and wonder if they got flack for recording it. But it hit #35 on the Billboard Hot 100 back in 1972, which leads me to believe the flack was minimal.

All this is to say, appearances aren't always what they seem. While I think the Easter Bunny is cute and I love Cadbury Creme Eggs arguably more than 90% of people I know, it might come as a surprise to some that I'm a Jesus girl. While I don't necessarily shout it from the rooftops, I don't hide my light under a bushel either.

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on a soapbox here. But it is Easter, or Resurrection Sunday, or whatever you choose to call it. Christmas typically steals the Christian calendar spotlight, but really, Easter is the reason those of us Jesus-people call ourselves "Christians."

Jesus -- the Greekified name for the Hebrew Yeshua, or as we more commonly know it, Joshua -- is a complex, fascinating and seemingly contradictory guy. "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you." (John 14:27) "I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." (Matthew 10:34)

Whaaa? Well, which is it?! ......Both?
Orthodox lithograph

Following the teachings of Jesus can be challenging and I'm confused by these contradictions as much as the next girl. And as hard as I try to figure out the meaning of these and other passages, using context and intent and historic relevance, it is somewhat of a relief knowing I don't have to figure it all out to know what, for me as a Christian, I believe to be the ultimate truth: that Jesus is the Son of God, who died to pay for the shortcomings of all humanity, and overcame death so we could have life. Easter in a nutshell.

Our world is full of contradictions. So is my life for that matter. I'm a "sinner" if there ever was one. I screw up (yes, sometimes willingly) on a daily basis. But in my heart of hearts, I want to be a better person. I know I'll never get there, but thankfully, that's where Jesus comes in.

And that's why He's still alright with me.

Happy Easter!

1 comment: